Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup – a great after school snack
- 3 tbls. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 earns sweet corn, or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 15-oz. can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can organic cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can organic tomato sauce
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbls. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 6 cups organic chicken stock
- 2 organic chicken breasts
- 5 corn or whole-wheat tortillas, cut into strips
- toppings, if desired: fresh cilantro, salsa, avocado, etc.
- Place large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini and corn in olive oil to soften slightly, 5 minutes. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, spices, chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and place whole chicken breasts into soup.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked completely. Remove from pot, shred and return to soup. Stir in tortilla strips and cook another 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with any desired toppings. Save for lunch the next day
- Portion out for lunch and place in separate container, gather toppings in baggies/lunch ware. In the morning, heat up soup and pour into thermos. Place in lunchbox and your done.